7.03.2007

Mini Walk Complete

Mini Walk definition-
You have the option of joining at team when you sign up and commit to a Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. One of those teams has an arrangement with Starbucks to hold local community walks in exchange for up to half of our required $1,800 commitment to walk. After you join the team you set up a "mini-walk" in your community to talk about Breast Cancer and bring awareness one step closer to the people where you live. Starbucks will then donate the difference, up to $900, to your walk to make your minimum. The rest will be "banked" for other walkers who may need some extra help raising thier funds to walk. Those on the Avon miniwalk team can earn $$ too just by helping those who host. Each hour they donate in time equals $10 donated by Starbucks. Its a great deal that I plan on taking complete advantage of next year when my goal has increased to an amazing 3 walks including SF again, LA and Denver. The Western United States conqured and mid west, and East Coast looming on the horizon. Here's my mini walk story




Friday:

Charity didn't show but they did talk a little about the mini walk on the news that morning. Chris and my MIL Karen took the boys to see the new Disney movie about the rat chef in Paris while I walked the route just one more time. So I got what I needed to get done that day... well almost done and decided that I should probably get some sleep or at least try.

Saturday:
I got up at 4:45am after not being able to sleep. I even ate breakfast. I hardly ever do that but have been better about it lately. There was just too much to do. I finished pricing all the murchandise. Loaded everything into my husbands truck and left the house for Starbucks. It didn't take as long as I had thought and my mom was there just after me. We got it all set up and Starbucks set us up with free coffee and cups for our walkers. Kelli was up from Vacaville to pick up the boys so she came to help me too. Sandy and Brian came to help, then Chris and they boys too. We had a decent turn out for our first time. 4 people pre-registered and one guy came by after seeing the flyer I had left there and donated $100 for him to walk the three miles with his son. We also had great volunteer help. Mom's friend Liz came to lead at 10am which was the big group. 9 people including Rochelle the starbucks manager and her family. We had Chris and the boys, I pushed my niece Brianna. The 8am one had three walkers, a really nice gal who says that she practiclly lives at Starbucks and my mom's friend Judy and her friend Randy. We even picked grapes and black berries on the early walk.

We had a very sweet lady and her daughter pick up information. She had been diagnosed with an agressive form of Breast Cancer on Tuesday, already had a biopsy, 3 MRI's and had set up an appointment with the same Oncologist my MIL went to. We gave her all the info we could and told her about two wonderful surgeons in town who are not only wonderful doctors and can do thier jobs but also have great bed side manor. So important when they tell you they are going to have to take both your breasts less than a week after you thought everything was normal in your life. We will be walking for her because unfortunetly this was not an early diagnosis and it has metastitised to her lymph nodes.

Then the guy from Channel 24 showed up and everyone scattered. No body wanted to be in the camera's view. I did the interview myself and looked like I was a 12 year old on tv. Chris thought it was so funny he kept kidding that the cops were going to show up to haul him away. Funny honey. But all in all it went very well. We raised almost $500 some to cover our costs and some going straight to the AWBC and we did have a great time. Thank you to all of you who helped and came out to participate.

No comments: