7.23.2007

Why I WALK and WhyMommy!



If you happen to be new to my blog, or to my life and don't know why I walk for Breast Cancer here's a taste.


This fall will be 4 years since my MIL was diagnosed with an aggressive form of BC. Luckily it was found early and with surgery, chemo and radiation she is now doing GREAT! This prompted my (then) SIL and I to find a charity walk to show our support. My husband shaved his head. He looks great bald. I didn't think I would be as flattering bald so I walked. We raised $4000 that year. We walked 26 miles each in the Summer of 2004 through San Francisco, up and down the hills and across the Golden Gate bridge. I made friends at the walk, on the message board. Most of all I found friends who had been diagnosed or someone they loved had been diagnosed, I found a passion for doing something wonderful by not just raising $$$$ but also awareness. Since then I have also walked in 2006 with my mom and BF and also this last year AWBC SF 2007 with my BF and held a local BC walk at Starbucks near my home. I have logged about 100 miles so far in charity walks and have three Big 40 mile walks planned for next yearin Denver! In SF! and in LA! That is about 120 miles next year, but it's about the mission not the MILES.That's $5,400 worth of local walks, bunco games, yard sales and good old begging and pleading. For me, Finding a cure for cancer is even more personal.

I had stage II Malignant Melanoma when I was 14. Thankfully I didn't have to go through chemo or radiation just 2 surgeries at the site on my back. But I did feel alone and not comfortable talking about "IT". When people did find out, they were usually really surprised, including a certain dermatologist who told me that I was too young to have Melanoma. Jackass. But the thought of doing something about it seemed out of reach to a global or even local level. So I made sure my friends wore sunscreen to a point of nagging I must say.

I also have been team captain and walked in our local American Cancer Societies Relay for LIFE. Then cancer struck home again. My uncle James was diagnosed with Leukemia and for almost two years fought for his life along side of my Aunt who stood by him through all the pain. I couldn't image the feelings and physical pain that inflicted from day of diagnosis to today almost a year anniversary of the day we lost him.

There is a mommy out there who found out a short time ago that she has Inflammatory Breast Cancer (AKA Beast Cancer). We call her WhyMommy (or rather she calls herself WhyMommy). She could not wait to hear and to answer the "WhyMommy" questions that come with parenthood. She has two small children at home. I wanted her to know that IBC has taken on a life of its own in her body but has also prompted so many blogging friends to spread the word about it. Awareness is key. We are doing our part. We are spreading the word to our friends, to everyone we know. You are a victim, and a hero. You are right, Cancer touches anyone, everyone is susceptible and lets stop hiding from it. I hope that each of us reaches out and tells somone else about IBC. It may save the life of someone you love. That is the goal.