3.13.2007

I walked over 5 miles today


So I packed up my camelpak and paperwork for Starbucks and headed out. When i got to Starbucks by Safeway (about 3/4 of a mile away). The girls in the shop were so sweet. When I asked to talk to the manager they said that she would be in tomorrow morning. I asked to leave my paperwork for a miniwalk there and they started asking questions about it. They wondered if they could donate, if they could walk, when it would be? They put a "must read" sticky note on the paperwork and put it in the middle of her desk on the keyboard so it wouldn't be missed. Then they made me a green tea lemonade on the house. I left there feeling like I did my job and I really hadn't even started yet!!! I left there and headed to the other starbucks about 1.25 miles away and took some backroads to increase my miles. I caught up with another lady out walking on this perfect afternoon she is in her 40's and is a survivor. As we walked along we talked about how different the world is now, how its ok to talk about BC and how it was so taboo just 10 years ago and she was in her 30's dealing with it. She felt that she had not outlet and little community support. Now she can shout it from the rooftops. She said that she would call me and hopes that she can help assist me in the mini walk we are having. How Great is THAT??!! When I got to Starbucks #2 I was not nearly as well recieved. I understand that this starbucks is more busy than the first one but at least you can be nice. The gal told me to come back when the manager was there. When I asked when a good time would be to come back and talk to her she said she couldn't tell me. There was no one behind me in line. The other gal was making drinks and she said she didn't have time to talk to me about a miniwalk and she couldn't leave the paperwork because the managers office is locked up. Hmmm makes me wonder why. So its an excellent location and maybe I'll try a different starbucks like the new one opening next to the park or the one along Esplanade. I hope they would be nicer. Took backroads back to the house and checked my pedometer. Reads 5.2 mils and I know that that it runs a little short. I'm excited I walked so much today and I'll walk again Thursday morning out by work. I'll let you know how receptive the Starbucks by the park is.

No comments: